a.k.a Cheesy Poofs
Ingredients (makes 12-pieces for standard muffin pan ):
- 3 large eggs
- 1/5 lb butter (3oz, 90gr)
- 1 cup water (8oz, 250ml)
- 6 flat tablespoons white flour
- 150 gr grated cheese (cheddar is best, TexMex mix good too)
- PAM spray or oil or a bit of butter
- Appropriate size non-stick saucepan
- 12-piece muffin pan (non-stick, sprayed with PAM or oiled)
- Whisk or electric hand mixer (but don’t scratch the pot!)
- Clean dish towel or paper towel
- Oven mitts
In appropriate saucepan, boil water and butter together until butter is melted and it bubbles.
Lower the heat.
- Add all the flour at once, keep mixing with the whisk or the hand blender until mixture is smooth, thick and no longer sticks to pot.
Take pot off the stove and allow to cool down to room temperature.
Blend in one egg at a time and some of the cheese, until it’s all mixed.
Put mixture in the greased muffin pan, with a spoon. Divide evenly.
Pre-heat oven to 425F. Bake for 30min (or longer) until golden.
When done, take out pan (use oven mitts!) and empty it on the towel and allow to cool.
Calories: 151 per serving (as analyzed by Very Well)
Cost of ingredients (priced from Metro in December 2017): $4.70 (for 12 units)
PS: To make it more labor and electricity effective I usually prepare this recipe for 4 times the quantities of ingredients, thus I need 4 muffin pans.