a.k.a Cheesy Poofs
Ingredients (makes 12-pieces for standard muffin pan ):
- 3 large eggs
- 1/5 lb butter (3oz, 90gr)
- 1 cup water (8oz, 250ml)
- 6 flat tablespoons white flour
- 150 gr grated cheese (cheddar is best, TexMex mix good too)
- Optional extras:
- a small handful (50 gr) finely chopped frozen or fresh spinach (or broccoli or mushrooms), boiled & drained
- a small sprinkle of bacon bits or 2 finely chopped up strips of bacon, cooked in the microwave until crisp, drained of their drippings
- PAM spray or oil or a bit of butter
- Appropriate size non-stick saucepan
- 12-piece muffin pan (non-stick, sprayed with PAM or oiled)
- Whisk or electric hand mixer (but don’t scratch the pot!)
- Clean dish towel or paper towel
- Oven mitts
In appropriate saucepan, boil water and butter together until butter is melted and it bubbles.
Lower the heat.
- Add all the flour at once, keep mixing with the whisk or the hand blender until mixture is smooth, thick and no longer sticks to pot.
- Optional: add in the cooked chopped spinach, broccoli or mushrooms and bacon bits.
Take pot off the stove and allow to cool down to room temperature.
Blend in one egg at a time and some of the cheese, until it’s all mixed.
Put mixture in the greased muffin pan, with a spoon. Divide evenly.
Pre-heat oven to 425F. Bake for 30min (or longer) until golden.
When done, take out pan (use oven mitts!) and empty it on the towel and allow to cool.
Calories: 151 per serving (as analyzed by Very Well).
(NB: does not include optional spinach/broccoli/mushroom and bacon bits.)
Cost of ingredients (priced from Metro in December 2017): $4.70 (for 12 units)
PS: To make it more labor and electricity effective I usually prepare this recipe for 4 times the quantities of ingredients, thus I need 4 muffin pans.